Dalhousie members are privileged to play golf on three wonderful links golf courses. The Championship course is known the world over as one of the sternest tests in golf. While the other two courses, the Burnside and Buddon Links, may not be as famous as their illustrious neighbour, each offers a challenge to local and visiting golfer alike.
The original Championship course was of ten holes, which crossed and re-crossed the now famous Barry Burn, following an upgrade by Allan Robertson from the natural links around 1840. In 1872 the Dalhousie Committee invited the legendary Tom Morris of St Andrews to upgrade and improve the course to the then new standard of eighteen holes. It measured 4565 yards.
In 1926 - again on the invitation of a Dalhousie member, James Wright - James Braid further modified the course to make it one of the finest links championship courses in Great Britain. This attracted the attention of the Royal and Ancient to select Carnoustie for the 1931 Open Championship, the first of seven which the course has now hosted. Carnoustie's roll call of Open Champions reads like a "who's who" of world golf:-
1931 - Tommy Armour
1937 - Henry Cotton
1953 - Ben Hogan
1968 - Gary Player
1975 - Tom Watson
1999 - Paul Lawrie
2007 - Padraig Harrington
A worthy challenge, with an impressive - near 500 year - heritage, thus awaits the visitor coming to play the Carnoustie Championship course. When the claret jug was safely won in 1968 the champion, Gary Player, declared:- "Carnoustie is the toughest course anywhere."
The Burnside started life in 1892 with the less than glorious name of "Auxiliary". As golf had become more popular in the late 19th century it had been decided to create this nine hole course to take pressure off the Championship Course. In 1914 the course was increased to 18 holes and by 1934 it was brought up to the standard of the main course and re-titled the Burnside. Although shorter than its bigger brother the Burnside is no less a test of golf. With smaller greens, the ever-present Barry Burn and just over six thousand yards it offers a strenuous examination of golfing skills.
In 1974 it was decided to replace the "six-holer", a little practice course where many a youngster ( as well as some not so young ) first swung a golf club in earnest, by creating a new eighteen hole course on the outside of the Championship Course. The decision had been taken to alleviate the pressure on the other two courses by creating a third. The Buddon Links, as it was named, was originally designed by Peter Alliss and Dave Thomas but has been extensively altered since its opening by the Links Committee and John Philp, the Links Superintendent. The end result is a wonderful example of links golf measuring 5420 yards ( with all the holes named after famous battles ), as the course runs parallel to M.O.D. land where many of the armed forces have been trained over the years.
Whether you are a local or a visiting golfer, the Championship, Burnside and Buddon Links courses will prove to be a hard but fair test of your golfing ability. Enjoy seaside golf at its finest!
To book tee times you may:-
Phone (44) 01241 853789